Monday, October 02, 2006

How To Succeed At Online Dating

Now, I'm no expert on online dating, but I do have some experience. Therefore, I thought I'd share some of my insights with you. I have found that online dating is really not that much different than meeting somebody in person. In fact, in some ways it's better. You get to screen potential dates in several steps, thereby limiting the possibility of coming face to face with a totally incompatible suitor.

First, I will share a little bit of my adventures in cyber dating. I've only belonged to one, jdate, and I've heard from countless people I've told that they have one of the better reputations. However, I didn't join because of that, I happen to be Jewish and thought I would make my mother happy by finally dating a member of the tribe, (if your Jewish you'll get that.)

I either I got very lucky, or I'm a very good judge of character (truthfully, It's probably a little of both), because I ended up dating the second guy I met for a year. Although it didn't work out romantically, we are still very close, and who knows maybe one day we will end up together. Anyway I digress, I belonged to jdate off and on for a year, and in that year I went out with one guy, (also off and on) for a year, 2 guys were one daters, one got two dates, and one I went out with for 2 months. Here's the thing, they were all great guys, just not right for me.

I've heard so many horror stories that I can't help feeling a little left out of the online dating sludge pool, but I do believe there are a few little tricks to avoiding that, and that's what I want to share with you.

1. Be very honest:
I can't believe people lie on these things, I mean isn't the point to eventually meet these people, they will find out that you weren't completely forthcoming. Nobody wants to start off a relationship on that note, and more than likely nobody will.

2. Talk on the phone before meeting:
Let's face it, you cant truly know if you'll have nice conversation without first having one. E-mails are fine in the beginning, but don't spend too much time on them. One of the best pieces of advice I got before I went looking for love online was not to spend too much time e-mailing each other before talking, a lot of my friends wasted a lot of time only to find out they had nothing to say to the live person.

3. Always be yourself:
This is so important! If you are really looking for your soul mate you have to make sure you are really his. Besides, don't we all know by now our true selves come out eventually anyway. Do you really want him to meet the real you 3 days before the wedding?

4. Relax and have fun:
Easier said than done, I know, but if you approach this as fun and exciting instead of terrifying and embarrassing you might just actually enjoy yourself.

The bottom line is, if you are of a certain age, it isn't as easy to meet a significant other as it used to be. Most of us have learned the lesson the hard way about dating in the work place, and trying to find him in a club, well let's just say I threw my beer goggles away a long time ago.
I wish you all good luck and good love. Let me know how it goes.

Bye for now, talk to you later.
Ads by AdGenta.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are going for best contents like me, simply pay a quick visit this web site all the time for the
reason that it presents feature contents, thanks

Look at my site :: 3d panther tattoos