Monday, October 16, 2006

MEDITATION:GOOD FOR YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH AND EMOTIONAL WELL BEING

MEDITATION:GOOD FOR YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH AND EMOTIONAL WELL BEING.

I am such a high strung person that I'm always on the lookout for a good way to stop my brain from racing a mile a minute and relax. We've all heard about meditation, but I always just pictured it being something for people who were akin to the Dali Lama. I looked into it though and found out some very interesting things.

First of all, the term meditation describes a variety of practices with a variety of goals, and it usually involves turning your attention inward to the mind itself. This is where they usually lose me, because it sounds so new agey. But, it doesn't have to entail sitting on the floor with your palms turned upward like you're praying to some unknown being.

Meditation can be as simple as breathing. While focusing all of your attention on your breathing, you begin to realize your brain begins to clear of all the other crap going on in your life. It also calms down your body because you are taking the time to stop running around. Just the act of sitting still for a few moments can beneficial to your body.

Another thing I discovered is you have to be patient, (which is one of my downfalls for sure.) You won't necessarily be able to stop your mind from wandering in the beginning, but with practice it will happen. Without even realizing it we are all meditating from time to time already.

You know when you get home from work, pour yourself a glass of wine and turn on your favorite music? That's meditating, because you are clearing your body and mind from all the toxicity from the day.

My favorite way to meditate involves a scented bubble bath and aromatherapy candles, oh and of course a good cigarette afterward! I'm only halfway kidding about that second part. Anyway, go meditate, it's good for you.
Ads by AdGenta.com

No comments: